Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Your mother wears combat boots.... and now you do too!

When my friends and I go out, we wear heels.
When my dad comes home from military training, he is wearing combat boots.
So when did my fashion mix with my Air Force reserve dad?

When I first saw these on the feet of my friends and on the shelves of my favorite shoe store, I assumed it was a dumb trend and wouldn't expand much further than the end of spring 2011.
It wasn't until yesterday when I was surfing the website of my favorite  designer Betsey Johnson that I cam across this

I knew that these boots weren't going anywhere. 

I investigated more at Forever 21. I asked a sales associate about them and she said.. 
"Every person who works here owns a pair. They are going to be big this upcoming fall and winter."
Funny that she said that, if you go to Forever 21's website, go to boot shoes, this is what comes up

My investigation was not over, I went to DSW and they had a whole wall full of combat boots for only $20 (so if you're looking for a deal, go there)
When i went to my friend's house i brought it up and she said "Oh i just bought a pair!" and pulled out classic black combat boots. They had a zipper that went up the back so you could fold them over. 

Now personally, I don't understand this trend. When i think of girls wearing combat boots I think of either 
Hard core military women
Punk Goth girls
I thought women wore shoes that made them more girly? Wasn't that the idea behind heels, stilettos, pumps, flip flops, gladiators, and tall leg boots? To show off feminine features such as a pedicure or nice legs?
Men are attracted to femininity, not trends (remember that).
Military boots are the farthest thing for feminine.
The old insult "Your mother wears combat boots" was one of the first "your mom" jokes. They implied two different meanings (depending on how educated you were)  
  1. Your mother was so manly, they put her in the military to fight in the war.
  2. Your mother is a whore. Because back during WW1 women would trade sex with army men, in exchange for combat boots. So maybe girls like them because it makes them look more historically promiscuous?
Is this a trend that people follow purely for the purpose of being trendy?
 Does it make women feel bolder and more dominate? 
Like they can march through the world and invade the universe taking it as their prisoner? 

I think the appeal of these shoes are the boldness and the large statement they make. You look like a beautiful woman from head to ankle, then you have these huge boots. What a throw off. Just like the over sized bows or bright colored tights, they are just a trendy attitude. 

In my opinion, i predict these will be a fad for probably the rest of 2011 and then die out. Reality is, feminine beauty will always prevail in the fashion industry and when trying to pick up men. However, it is what is in. And just because I don't understand them, doesn't mean they aren't going to be everywhere. It is always fun to be apart of the current trend. If you want to join the bandwagon and look trendy for a season (because that is always fun) then check out...
As for me, I am going to hit up my dad's closet and steal some old worn in ones.
Learn more about pairing combat boots with your every day outfit right here!
If you have an opinion on this trend, I would love to hear it.
I especially would like to know what the guys have to say about them
Prep it up. Stay trendy!


2 comments:

  1. Hey! I bumped into your blog when I was looking for pictures fof Snooki's bows (:P) Anyway, just wanted to say that I like your blog! I'll probably keep coming back to see what you have posted. Keep up the good work!

    PS. I love combat boots!! Then again, I'm not the girliest girl in the universe.

    ReplyDelete